Saturday 10 December 2016

Luqman Gilmore: I regret the failure of my Stoke City transfer


Luqman Gilmore, a gifted player unearthed by Coach Manu Garba in the run-up to the FIFA Under 17 World cup in 2013, is still trying to revive his career with AACC FC in Lagos after trials with English Premier League team Stoke City failed to materialize into a permanent move. He speaks to SHOTS about memories of world cup winning Golden Eaglets of 2013 and Kelechi Iheanacho’s impact in the EPL. Excerpts:

Luqman, few years ago you were in the limelight after exploits with the U17 and U23 national teams, what are you doing at the moment?
I’m a footballer and will always be in football because it is what I have passion for. Yes like you rightly said, I was with the U17 national team for some time and the U23 too, at this time I’m just concentrating on how to elevate my career. I am with AACC FC in Lagos now and I’m enjoying my time with the club at this time before something better comes along in which case I’ll have to move on.
Would you say your career is moving in the right direction?
Well I will say am not at where I hope I will be but I know with the grace of God I will live to expectations because in football as in life things can change in few minutes. I could just get a call from Arsene Wenger inviting me to come play for Arsenal and my whole story will change in few moments. So im still very hopeful that things will come good for me.
Looking back, would you say the coaches got it wrong by not including you in the 2013 U17 World Cup team?
Yeah, the coaches make their decision and there is nothing I can do about that but I know I have a place in that team but at the end of the day, it’s their decision and they have to live by them. The team ended up lifting the trophy which justified selections made by the coaches but till this day I strongly believed I would have also made my mark in that same team.
Are you surprised by what Kelechi Iheanacho is doing at Man City at the moment?
I’m not surprised at all because those of us that have been with him since from the Golden Eaglets know what he is capable of. He is an amazing player and whenever defenders mistakenly give him little chance he ends up punishing them.
He’s quick, highly technical and clinical as well, most people are only realizing that now because of his goal scoring adventures in Manchester City but for someone like me, I had already seen it in him from a tender age and he’ll still do better in the next couple of seasons, I am very happy for him.
Are u still in touch with your former roommate Zarahdeen Bello and your other U17 teammates?
It’s been a while since I spoke to Bello but Wilfred Ndidi and I are very good friends, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ezeh, Mustapha and Taiwo Awoniyi are also some of my very close friends and are in contact. You know everyone is at a different stage of his career so it sometimes takes a while before you hear from someone maybe due to his engagements and stuff but at the end of the day we still look out for each other and relate well at all times. Hopefully our journeys will still meet one day just like the Golden Eaglets days.
Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
In the next five years, I see myself doing my thing at some of the biggest stages of world football also playing for the senior national team and I strongly believe these are possible, one has to remain focus, work hard and also pray to God because with him everything is possible.
So I’m very optimistic regarding my career. It’s just like writing JAMB with your friends, some might get admission at first sitting while others have to try again but at the end of the day all of you will still meet at the university.
Former Eagles legend Daniel Amokachi said corruption is killing the U17 and the U23 teams because players have to pay to get a spot, do you agree?
Well, I can’t say anything regarding that because I don’t have concrete evidence but for someone of his calibre to be saying that it means the authorities have to investigate to get to the bottom of the matter so as to cleanse the system and make it even for everybody.
If you have the required talent, you’ll be allowed in if no then there’s no place for you unlike when money is used to get players, that is totally wrong.
Your trial at Stoke City FC of England, remain the high point of your career, do you still regret that the move fail to materialize?
It’s the biggest regret in my career because I imagine where I’ll be at this time assuming I was able to get a permanent move to Stoke City but man proposes and God disposes.
I still believe something better will come my way and I’ll be ready to take it when it comes, hopefully very soon.

What’s your take on football in Nigeria in general, are we moving in the right direction?
Yes, I believe we are on the right track at this time, our top flight league has massively improved from what is obtainable in the past years, big kudos to the League Management Company and also when you look at our national team you’ll see that we have a lot of young players playing in it now which shows youth are being given a chance to excel which is tremendous.
Let’s hope that the achievements and successes will be more visible in the next couple of years especially in the areas of facilities and welfare for present and retired players not forgetting advancements in grassroots football.


No comments:

Post a Comment